[PLUG] Joining IRC channels using Riot/Matrix (and some IRC tips)

Tejas Sanap sanap.tejas at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 15:26:30 IST 2019

Hey, folks!

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 11:18:28AM +0530, Amey Abhyankar wrote:
> If I hit 'LOG IN' button it keeps trying to login but nothing happens.
> I was able to sign in before using 'custom server options'.
> Anybody facing same problem today?
>
> I tried to login using other combinations i.e. I keep identity server
> same is custom server but same issue.
> Tried to put my registered e-mail address at matrix as well.

Seeing how users are running into some sort of trouble, every now and
then, with Matrix, some of us on #pluggies are thinking of setting up
a public ZNC instance. Obviously, the costs will be split even amongst
all users.  But, if enough of us, get together, the cost per person
would be trivial. Also, ZNC will give you almost-God-like control
over your IRC accounts. If, anyone is interested, please reply to
this thread or drop us a message on #pluggies.

For those who don't know, ZNC *functionality can be extended*
by writting our own modules. APIs in C++, python, perl and Tcl
are available. I suggest you to take a look at:
https://wiki.znc.in/Category:Modules

ZNC offers a `webadmin` module. It is a simple, easy-to-use, web
UI that allows admins and users to manage users and change their
ZNC settings.  More importantly, it can be set up such that, an user
can access it from anywhere, like a normal website.

ZNC does a lot more than simply providing IRC persistence. It supports
multiple users, networks and clients. It has SSL support. Also, ZNC has
great community support at the #znc channel on Freenode.

--
Tejas Sanap.
(whereistejas on Freenode)