[PLUG] The current and future state of PLUG

amarendra godbole amarendra.godbole at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 23:04:38 IST 2019

On Sun, Dec 15, 2019 at 12:46 AM Tejas Sanap <sanap.tejas at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, folks!
>
> The following email may turn out to be a bit controversial. The current state of PLUG is not very bright. That is a fact. However, numerous members are taking efforts to revive PLUG from it's deep slumber, and are trying to bring it back to the center stage of the FOSS community in Pune.
>
> Plans must be made and adhered to. There must be a slightly strategic approach to how we conduct events. Talks must be planned such that not only do they benefit the FOSS community but which also, highlight PLUG and its activities.
>
> I believe, that it is important to know and understand the different opinions that people (within PLUG) have about our current and future state, as we plan on how and when PLUG will conduct meetups/events, next year. While it is not necessary that we all share the same sense of purpose, but being aware of motivations and expectations others have is always beneficial.
>
> Thus, I have prepared a questionnaire.
>
> ## The questionnaire
>
> 1. What do you think about the open source movement?

By "open source", I am loosely combining all software that is freely
available with licensing restrictions, and where money is not
exchanged between the developer and community. It has been the
"driving force" for a large number of technological improvements we
see today, and powers most of the large  key players in the enterprise
software space (AWS/Google/Facebook/Twitter/etc.).

> 2. What do you think about the free software movement?

If "free software" implies that available under the GPL v2 and v3 -
then it is "open source" (e.g. BSD licensed) with restrictions on how
the software can be used. I respect the "free software" movement,
since they gave us popular software|

> 3. What do you think are the core principles of PLUG?

Allow exchange of ideas between people related to "open/free" software
(related = producers, consumers or spectators).

> 4. What do you think is the difference between the open source software movement and the free software movement?

Difference largely in end-use, than quality of software. Though
"cult-like" dogmatic following is found in free software movement,
largely because the original proponents tried to enforce their
world-view.

> 5. What role does PLUG play in the context of the questions 1 - 4?

See #3

> 6. What role should PLUG play in the context of questions 1 - 4?

See #3. Additionally, PLUG can adapt to new communication medium like
twitter (post upcoming meet details, links, etc.), facebook, instagram
(post pictures of a meet) to attract more people. Email lists aren't
terribly popular with younger crowd.

> 7. How do you think we can contribute *improvements* to the community? By *improvements* I mean, documentation, blogs, commenting on issues and code.

Well, you should also include "use" -- provide viable open source
alternatives to those who are using closed-source. Other improvements
listed are based on individual expertise and capacity.

> --
> Tejas Sanap.
> (whereistejas on Freenode)
> https://whereistejas.me