[PLUG] Fwd: [ILUG-BOM] OSM - Quick start for first time users

rajudev rajudev at disroot.org
Thu May 16 20:34:44 IST 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[ILUG-BOM] OSM - Quick start for first time users
Date: 	Wed, 3 Apr 2019 09:54:59 +0530
From: 	Milind Oka <oak445 at gmail.com>
To: 	GNU/Linux Users Group, Mumbai India <linuxers at mm.ilug-bom.org.in>

Hi all,

Finally I decided to try OSM on my own as I could not find any local guru.

Here is a short report for the benefit of new users in order to save their
time (and not to teach them anything as such).

● Go to openstreetmap.org

● Open an account and then login.

● The site has an interactive walk through tutorial which is excellent so
spend 4-5 minutes if you want.

● The site has three in-browser editors. First one is iD which is simple
and sufficient. Select it without fail and proceed. (otherwise Arial view
will not be available).

● Views can be found in Layer option. There are two main views that you use
- First is Arial view from satellite and the second is OpenStreetMap -
standard view, which is used for navigation. You can switch back and forth
through these two views or layers.

● There are three important edits that you are supposed to do as your basic
contribution.

● First is Point or Point of Interest (POI). This can be restaurant, cafe,
chemist etc. There can be several such points in a building.

● Second is Area (building, ground, lake etc),

● Third is Line (Road, FOB, Pipelines etc)

Ensure that you are logged in and iD Editor is selected.

START CONTRIBUTING NOW :

● Search any familiar place where you would like to contribute. Locate any
building based on its shape and surrounding which is not yet tagged.

● Identify its name by nearby elements. Then click on it and in the
resulting popup give its name say "xyz Mansion". Tick-Save-Upload. Thats it
!

● If a building does not exist on map, then switch to satellite image. Hit
Area tool and make a closed region around it and then tag it (as we did in
previous step). You may add other details if you want, for example, level,
height etc

● Do the same for other areas like gardens, grounds and lakes etc. Points
are also to be added at appropriate places so that the map will be even
more useful to all.

Hope this quick tour is helpful.

About 80% buildings are shown on map but not tagged. Remaing 20% are yet to
be shown (using area tool) and then to be tagged. So contributions are
really needed on large scale. Nagarjuna, in our last meeting, suggested
that OSM should be introduced to students. We surely have to do that.

My thoughts from ilug-bom viewpoint :

This can be taken as a regular activity in our monthly meetings. No
separate sessions are necessary. Anybody can start contributing in 10
minutes provided someone shows the options and a sample contribution. We
can take a small live session in introduction itself . In fact we will
upload new member's house/building/bunglow and few other tags as a part of
demonstration.

There is a desktop application JOSM which is bit more advanced. Also few
android apps are there. Two of them are worth using. OsmAnd+ and Vespucci.
OsmAnd+ is mainly for OSM users (for navigation etc). Vessupucci is
alternative to iD/JOSM. It is for contributors. Found Vesupucci quite
satisfactory. Started contributing even from mobile using Vespucci.

Thanks and Regards
Milind