[PLUG] Editable PDFs - Does the world need them?

Tejas Sanap sanap.tejas at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 08:33:42 IST 2019

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 08:22:58PM +0530, Mayuresh wrote:
> I consider it a feature rather than a problem!
>
> Many WYSWYG editors and typesetting systems support generation of pdf,
> distributed copies of it need not (and preferably should not be) editable.

+1

> E.g. see what happens to forms that are distributed in WYSWYG format vs in
> pdf form as people `fill' them.
>
> On the other hand I am pretty much ok with the idea of `fillable' pdf
> which retains the basic form and allows users to enter the data fields
> that are filled at the right places without disturbing the broader
> structure of the document.

To be honest, even though, I would really love to have editable pdfs, I
am very skeptical of, how anyone can manage to get the typesetting right
for an "edited" pdf. Especially, in the case of tables and diagrams, the
task seems to be almost impossible.
But, at the same time, having an editable pdf, will it make it a lot
easier to copy-paste text and diagrams, from a pdf. That, in itself, is a
great reason.

--
Tejas Sanap.
(whereistejas on Freenode)