[PLUG] Editable PDFs - Does the world need them?

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Fri Nov 22 20:22:58 IST 2019

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 01:50:07PM +0530, Tejas Sanap wrote:
>    The PDF file format is ubiquitous nowadays and there are very good reasons
>    behind it. It fits in every format of information, it's space-efficient
>    and with item, the surrounding ecosystem has adapted to it very well.
>    Except, one tiny issue, editing PDFs. If one were to make PDFs freely
>    editable[1]

I consider it a feature rather than a problem!

Many WYSWYG editors and typesetting systems support generation of pdf,
distributed copies of it need not (and preferably should not be) editable.

E.g. see what happens to forms that are distributed in WYSWYG format vs in
pdf form as people `fill' them.

On the other hand I am pretty much ok with the idea of `fillable' pdf
which retains the basic form and allows users to enter the data fields
that are filled at the right places without disturbing the broader
structure of the document.

--
Mayuresh