[PLUG] I wish, I knew this when I started with Vim

Tejas Sanap sanap.tejas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 09:00:49 IST 2019

Hey, folks!

As the world rides the "VS Code" wave and it's extensive list of extensions
that are easy to set up and even easier to configure, some of us, stick to
the Old Way of Vim. However, as effective as vi/vim may be, it presents a
considerable learning curve, especially, to the novice command line user,
it just seems too much to handle all at once and thus, they either move to
"nano" or abandon command line text editors, altogether.

But, the vim community, offers great documentation and there are tons of
blogs written by vim-users, all over the internet. Captain Pike, from the
USS Enterprise, once said, "the best way to swim in a cold stream, is to
jump right in", and it is also true in the case of vim.

Using vim for all your editing tasks, is the fastest way to learn and the
easiest way to appreciate vim.

The best source of vim-related things is the "r/vim"[3] sub-reddit.

The best place to clarify your vim doubts, is the #vim IRC channel.

The best collection of vim-hacks for the most common issues realated to vim
is, the vim-wikia[4].

The most accurate, detailed and dependable source of information for any
vim feature is the "in-built" documentation[5].

The links [1] and [2] are good beginner resources.

[1]: https://kadekillary.work/post/learn-vim/

[2]: http://vimcasts.org/

[3]: https://www.reddit.com/r/vim/

[4]: https://vim.fandom.com/wiki/