[PLUG] Why folks using IRC are against "cool" and "new" features?

Vik Tara vik at hamaralinux.org
Thu Sep 5 14:41:24 IST 2019

On 04/09/2019 10:37, Vishal Rao wrote:
> > Hey, folks!
> > I use plain IRC and for some reason that I can't explain, love it's
> > simplicity. I ran into a blog post today, that presented some
> > interesting perspectives on IRC and similar protocols (Matrix).
> >
> > https://drewdevault.com/2019/07/01/Absence-of-features-in-IRC.html
> >
> > I guess, IRC is an example of the "less is better, more is worse" case.
> > I would love to hear some of your point-of-views.

Matrix federation does allow everyone to use their own platform of
choice but there are limitations as you nicely articulate - particularly
federating between text only and html clients.

A bit annoying, but it seems people are living with it when the benefit
is being able to connect to more people.

> No one is trying to monetize you on IRC
It does get targetted by spammers though, we've had to implement
stronger permissions models on our IRC channels.

If anyone wants to give matrix a whirl, we run a matrix home server here:

https://diasp.in/