[PLUG] Knoppix live cd

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 22:43:37 IST 2023

Am on mobile so will be brief. Not trying to incite a religious war or
anything. Knoppix was launched & took the web by storm in 2002. Klaus
Knopper was the first guy to think & launch a live cd. He used a combo of
hwsetup (from Redhat), a whole bunch of stuff from Debian. There's actually
an interview of him in May 2002.

Ubuntu meanwhile for all their resources launched in/around mid 2005. I
remember both as both also came in lfy couple months later. IIRC lfy had
also shared distrowatch interview.

So Klaus Knopper took stuff from rh, Debian & later even bsd (security
tools). The above mentioned hwsetup is still used while installing Debian.

That alone should tell you. Btw one way or another Debian did get
influenced & started carrying the same tools.

Ubuntu on the other hand, has deviated a lot. How good or bad I leave to
other's judgments.

Till later.

Fwiw, wayback archive machine could be used to authenticate the data, I
might be wrong by few months but definitely Ubuntu came much much later.