[PLUG] The current and future state of PLUG

Dhanesh B. Sabane dhanesh95 at disroot.org
Sun Dec 22 17:03:21 IST 2019

Hello Tejas,

On Sun, 2019-12-15 at 14:15 +0530, Tejas Sanap wrote:

> Plans must be made and adhered to. There must be a slightly strategic
> approach to how we conduct events. Talks must be planned such that
> not only do they benefit the FOSS community but which also, highlight
> PLUG and its activities.

Also, talks must be planned which are beneficial to the target group.
We can take some inspiration from the Python Pune group who ask for
suggestions / talk proposals on their GitHub profile in form of
"issues" and talks are then aligned by the organisers.

> ## The questionnaire
>

> 1. What do you think about the open source movement?
>
> 2. What do you think about the free software movement?
>
> 4. What do you think is the difference between the open source
> software movement and the free software movement?

I'll let this article [1] from www.gnu.org answer these three
questions.

> 3. What do you think are the core principles of PLUG?

I believe it all comes down to FLOSS evangelism, helping people make
the right tech choices and provide assistance wherever required. Also,
I think PLUG isn't really interested in viral publicity and is more
about being an active group of people who share knowledge.

> 5. What role does PLUG play in the context of the questions 1 - 4?
> 6. What role should PLUG play in the context of questions 1 - 4?

I think the role that PLUG is currently playing is just the right
thing. All we need to do is improve the way we are approaching and
performing the processes under this role.

> 7. How do you think we can contribute *improvements* to the
> community? By *improvements* I mean, documentation, blogs, commenting
> on issues and code.

I think these contributions will come naturally once we start
conducting regular meetups with useful talks and workshops.

[1] https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.html

Cheers!

--
Dhanesh B. Sabane